EDCI 335- Post #1 – Learning theory

I have just read an article titled “Behaviourism, Cognitivism, Constructivism, Comparing Critical Features From an Instructional Design Perspective by Peggy A. Ertmer & Timothy Newby.

I am going to answer the following prompt: Describe an example from your life of when you were taught using each method described in this article: behaviorism, cognitivism, and constructivism.

My own elementary education was over two decades ago, so I was also bring in examples from my time as an educational assistant and teacher.

I believe that most of my memories of elementary school lend themselves to lessons presented with a behaviorist idea in mind. One example that I can think of that describes this well would be during a grade four or five math lesson. The teacher would introduce the new concept, by presenting a problem on the board and explaining the procedure step by step. We, the students in the class, were then given a series of practice problems to solve independently. As we worked, the teacher circulated around the classroom, providing feedback and rewording the process for those that needed it to assist us in getting the correct answers. Throughout the lesson or the remainder of the unit, with repeated practice and feedback from the teacher, our ability to solve the problems would improve. This observable change in our understanding of the concepts showed that learning had taken place, according to the principles of Behaviorism.

My most recent memory of cognitivism being used in the classroom is during my most recent middle school practicum. I was teaching a grade seven class about life science with a focus on climate change and conservation. I began the unit by activating the students’ prior knowledge through a brief discussion on climate change and human impacts on the world. I then brought in a local specialist to share information about our local ecosystem, he presented new information to the students, breaking it down into smaller concepts and using visual aids to support student understanding. The students were encouraged to ask questions and engage in group discussions to process the information further. I then led the students through hands-on activities, such as lab experiments, where students observed the effects of human pollution on our water systems. Through this unit, I gave students time to reflect on how they retained the information, organized it in their minds, and retrieved it when it was needed to present their understanding. By addressing the cognitive aspects of learning, it was my goal to promote a deeper understanding of the subject matter. This I feel, was me looking at the unit through a cognitive theory approach.

I have also worked as an educational assistant, and a time that stands out to me when students were being taught using a constructivist approach would be during a grade five art class. They were given an open-ended hands-on art project. The teacher provided various materials like colored papers, magazine clippings, glue, scissors, and markers and encouraged the students to create their own collages. The students were given the freedom to choose their materials and decide how to arrange them on their papers. Through this process, the students actively engage with the materials, manipulate them, and make decisions about their compositions. As they experimented and explored, they began to construct their own meaning of art and develop their own unique creations. They were extremely unique, and no two art pieces looked alike. This example of Constructivism highlights the idea that learning occurs through the active construction of meaning, as the students interpret and make sense of their experiences through their creative expressions.

It was great to think back on my education, my observation of other educators and times when I have educated students and reflect on the three prominent theories for learning. It is great to see the variety of learning that is occurring in past and present settings.

3 Responses to “EDCI 335- Post #1 – Learning theory”

1. Hi, thanks for sharing. The story you shared has given me a deeper impression and understanding of behaviorism, cognitivism, and constructivism. Based on the story you told also reminds me of my old learning days. Looking back to my study time, I also found that during my primary and secondary school, the education given to us by our teachers was behaviorism. Take math class as an example, during primary and secondary school, our teachers taught us math points in class. Then they let us do practice problems. As a result, when I see some similar questions that I have done during exams, I have a conditioned reflex and then it is easy to make the questions. For example, 1+1=2. However, when I was in high school and college, I was taught more about cognitivism and constructivism. Because, in high school and college I started to plan my own time and I would make my own understanding and overview of what my teachers taught me, which would help me understand and organize my knowledge better. Also, I would start to incorporate what my teachers taught me with real life situations. In this way, I am not only learning the content, but also understanding it better.
    Thank you for sharing this content which has helped me to connect behaviorism, cognitivism, constructivism and my own life. This has given me a better understanding and ideas about behaviorism, cognitivism, and constructivism.

2. i suspect we all have plenty of behaviourist examples (especially from early childhood). I often wonder the impact of being introduced to learning that way.