EDCI335 Post 2- Can making Digital Stories on Canva be classified as Experiential Learning?

In my experience in classrooms as a student, and as a teacher, I have come to know the effectiveness of experiential learning. When homeschooling my own children, it was always my desire to have my children experience the world around them through hands-on opportunities. Experiential learning is a wonderful approach that emphasizes hands-on experiences and active participation in the learning process. It lends itself to encourage students to engage with the subject matter through real-world applications, promoting critical thinking, problem-solving, and creativity. In this blog post, it is my hope that I will give you, the reader, a basis to investigate further into the characteristics of experiential learning and discuss how it aligns with teaching digital storytelling using the online platform, Canva.

Some Characteristics of Experiential Learning

Active Engagement: Experiential learning encourages active engagement, where students directly participate in activities that involve storytelling. They collaborate, create, and manipulate multimedia elements to construct compelling narratives.

Reflection: After completing a project or task, students are prompted to reflect on their experiences and the outcomes. This reflection fosters a deeper understanding of the storytelling process and allows them to identify areas for improvement.

Real-World Applications: Experiential learning seeks to bridge the gap between theory and practice. When teaching digital storytelling through Canva, students have the opportunity to apply their skills in a practical setting, as Canva is an accessible online platform widely used for visual content creation.

Autonomy and Initiative: This approach empowers learners to take ownership of their learning journey. In the context of Canva, students can explore various templates, design elements, and multimedia options, allowing them to exercise their creative autonomy.

Experiential Learning and Digital Storytelling with Canva

The experiential learning approach aligns with teaching digital storytelling using Canva. Here are some connections:

Interactive Content Creation: Canva enables students to craft visually engaging stories with ease. Its user-friendly interface allows for seamless navigation, encouraging students to experiment and build narratives interactively.

Multimedia Integration: Experiential learning emphasizes the use of multimedia elements to convey stories effectively. Canva offers an extensive library of images, icons, and audio, enabling students to enhance their narratives through visual and auditory means.

Peer Collaboration: Experiential learning often involves group projects, fostering teamwork and communication skills. Canva’s collaborative features enable students to work together in real-time, promoting effective collaboration and enhancing the overall learning experience.

Feedback and Refining: Through experiential learning, students learn that constructive feedback is invaluable for growth. Canva facilitates feedback exchanges, allowing learners to refine their storytelling projects continuously.

When I think about all of these elements, the experiential learning approach complements the teaching of digital storytelling with Canva. By immersing students in an active and engaging environment, they can develop not only their digital storytelling skills but also their creativity, critical thinking, and collaborative abilities. Embracing this approach gives a meaningful learning experience, enabling students to become proficient storytellers in the digital age. So, if you have the chance to observe your students using Canva to create digital stories, you will be excited to know that they are getting the opportunity to learn through experiential learning.